Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Whaur Dae Ye Lie? Karine Polwart

Srebrenica mother by Robert Mcneil, MBE
 robertmcneil.co.uk  
NB: Thanks for the revision by Robert Mcneil MBE, and his wife Kathy.
Lyrics in Scottish then British English. 


ATTENTION: Read more
Nations United Magazine (srebrenica.org.uk)
Srebrenica Genocide Blog (srebrenica-genocide.blogspot.com)
What happened in Srebrenica | Remembering Srebrenica
Remembering Srebrenica - Scotland - Posts | Facebook

Lyrics:

Whaur Dae Ye Lie
Where Do You Lie

by Karine Polwart
by Karine Polwart

Whaur dae ye lie, my faither?
Where do you lie, my father?

Whaur dae ye lie, my son? 
Where do you lie my son?

Whaur dae ye lie, my ane true love?
Where do you lie, my one true love?

When will the truth be won?
When will the truth be won?

Oor friends, they came tae protect us
Our friends, they came to protect us

Oor friends, they bade us bide
Our friends, they bade us to bide

Oor friends left us standing there naked
Our friends left us standing there naked

Wi' nae place left tae hide
With no place left to hide

Oor neighbors, they came wi a hundred year hate
Our neighbors, they came with a hundred-year hate

Oor neighbors, they came wi guns
Our neighbors, they came with guns

Oor neighbors, they came for oor menfolk
Our neighbors, they came for our menfolk

An they slew them, every one
And they slew them, everyone

I hae sought oot yer grave wi my mither
I had sought out your grave with my mother

I hae sought oot yer grave in vain
I had sought out your grave in vain

I hae sought the bare banes o the truth and the men
I had sought the bare bones of the truth and the men

Faither, whaur are ye lain?
Father, where are you lying?

I hae cried oot yer name tae the four winds
I had cried out your name to the four winds

I hae cried oot yer name 'til the dawn
I had cried out your name till the dawn

I hae cried in the arms o yer sister dear
I had cried in the arms of your dear sister

Whaur dae ye lie, my son?
Where do you rest, my son?

I hae dream'd o yer breath upon me
I had dreamed of your breath upon me

I hae dream'd o yer yellow hair
I had dreamed of your yellow hair

I hae dream'd o the sounds o yer dying, love
I had dreamed of the sounds of your dying, love

Whaur dae ye lie, my dear?
Where do you rest, my dear?

 

Srebrenica @ Ronald Ophuis

The song tells of the heart-wrenching questions that women were asking after Srebrenica. Karen Polwart was inspired to write this moving song after she heard three women from Srebrenica at a public meeting in Edinburgh, Scotland organized by a local support group in 1997/8.
Karen wrote this song while she was a member of the group Malinky and it appears on their first album, Last Leaves, 1999. It is an example of her ability to tackle difficult subjects with insight and compassion.


Srebrenica massacre under the collaboration of UN & Holland soldiers.
@Latuff 2017


In 1995, in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica, Serbian forces separated civilian men from women – under the eyes of the UN peacekeepers – and massacred the men, who were mainly older and infirm. The younger men who had escaped to the forest were hunted down and killed. Mass graves were later found.
 
 

No comments:

رواية قناع بلون السماء تفوز بالجائزة العالمية للرواية العربية 2024

  رواية قناع بلون السماء تفوز بالجائزة العالمية للرواية العربية 2024 خندقجي (40 عامًا) من نابلس، واعتُقل في الثاني من نوفمبر 2004، وتعرض عقب...